#1 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,314 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:57 PM

Bec has a 13in (fnar) mid 2012 Macbook Pro

I've just seen you can upgrade the RAM on it... possibly by using the chaingun.  But what the fuck am I buying??

It currently says "your mac contains 2 memory slots, each of which accepts a 1600 Mhz DDR3 memory module.  All memory slots are in use".  It also says "4GB installed" then it has a sort of thing with 2 lots of 2GB.  

A thing I looked at for this model say I can put 8 gig in.  Do I just go buy 2 lots of 4?  Is it that easy? And I googled it and came up with 2 different ones almost the same price but one is 2 quid more.  What do I get?

Router's on mind...

#2 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,222 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

Yeah buy 2x 4GB Dance Dance Revolution 3 sticks, just buy whatever you can afford from a reputable manufacturer, if she's not caning the laptop and needs every femtosecond or latency possible removed, go cheap.

#3 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,314 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:35 PM

I'm going to start using it for recording purposes so I'll be running (probably) logic and an interface and stuff

#4 Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Nishishishi

• Site Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,222 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

That won't make a huge difference to be honest, I would still say to just go cheap, RAM is RAM these days, unless you are calculating the motion of celestial bodies or gaming with max settings and overclock it, cheap RAM is fast enough.

#5 Pedro

Pedro

MY FIGHT MONEY!!!

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:57 PM

I got two Samsung sticks fairly cheap to throw in my mbp.

Although the initial spec says up to 8gb ram, you can comfortably put 16 in A mid 2012 pro. That what I have, and it really makes a difference when rendering video clips.

You may want the think about replacing the optical with a SSD to speed things up even more. I haven't the time/money/willingness to part with optical media yet though, but I'm sure once the prices start falling this will be the next thing to come.

#6 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,314 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

I think I might be starting to go a bit overboard on what I want to do BUT the problem is the stuff I'm looking at is only a little cheaper than the next step up.  So things like I'm upgrading to 8 well I may as well upgrade to 16 because I *might* need it in future...

The audio interface for example.  Seen a decent 4in/4out interface for £200... but there's an equally decent 8in/8out one for £270.  At the moment I won't be recording drums or anything as it's just demoing stuff so I'll probably use the midi drum stuff in Logic BUT what happens in 12 months time when I want to record a full kit... and equally what happens in 12 months time when I've still only ever used one input...  Drives me nuts.

Right... Ped... anyone... I'm lazy (I've been searching and googling and I don't want to buy the wrong thing)... Link me to some RAM goodness (preferably on Amazon).  If you reckon 16 will work fine I'll do that.  Also I need a cable to connect to the TV for easyness so gimme one of those too.  

#7 El_Patriot

El_Patriot

Advanced Member

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:16 PM

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.c...a_D5OFxbH1NAZF0

#8 Idaho

Idaho

cunt