8 replies to this topic

#1 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

I've tried several of the Monster Hunter games, but this is the first one that has clicked. While still very obtuse, the basic loop of the game (Hunt - craft - hunt) makes enough sense that I have been able to remain interested while slowly learning the rest of the systems. The combat is fun and chunky, but not quite to the Dark Souls level, meaning that often connecting attacks do not affect the monster you are targeting. This lack of visual feedback seems weird in singleplayer, but makes more sense when playing with other people, as you could not all expect your contributions to stagger a beastie. I have played a few hunts online with Gareth and Kurt and it really is better with company. I feel like the later hunts will require more teamwork, and am looking forward to them. The game is already very addictive through and it is too easy to persuade yourself to do just one more hunt before bed. Only time will tell whether I remain as enamoured with the game, but the first 20 hours have been a joy.

#2 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

Same here. I tried the original MH on PS2 and the PSP one, and could never make it past the opening few hours, but this had me gripped from the start. I hope the game keeps it up, but so far it really is an absolute joy. Been loving the teaming up with the NL squad too. Kurt really knows how to handle a bone pole.

#3 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 05:40 PM

I was well into this, but stopped to play Shadow of the Colossus and feel no pull to go back. Weird.

#4 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

I was well into this, but stopped to play Shadow of the Colossus and feel no pull to go back. Weird.

I’m the same. It is very good, but everything takes so much time. I would rather make good progress in a standard single player game.

#5 Mystic

Mystic

Lick the Candy

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • Interests:Beer and Sex ... though the former usually leads to lack of the latter!

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:33 AM

I still haven't beaten the Anjanath
Shinpad Shepard

#6 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:17 AM

I still haven't beaten the Anjanath

Is that the T-Rex thing? I did one of those on my own! 

#7 Mystic

Mystic

Lick the Candy

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • Interests:Beer and Sex ... though the former usually leads to lack of the latter!

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:47 AM

That's the one. Just can't beat the Tucker so gave up and haven't gone back to it.
Shinpad Shepard

#8 Papa

Papa

Where's the beach?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

I'm up for getting back into the game if you want to have a go at it together?

#9 Jusatsushi

Jusatsushi

Herp that Derp

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:48 PM

Oh God i fought that bastard so many times I had the complete armour set for me and my kitty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users