21 replies to this topic

#21 Mr Rich

Mr Rich

What do I do?

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,509 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

I hadn't posted anything about this yet.   But I thought I would explain what happened to us a little now I actually have five minutes.  The reason I say most of this is because most of the time you have options, even if you are mostly at the behest of the doctors and midwives you can tell them if you don't like something and they will listen, sometimes they will however tell you that you must do something for the sake of the children.  This is also designed to be a little bit of a cautionary tale to make you always go with your gut instinct on things and say something if you don't think it's right.

We were told we had to be induced because of the size of the baby after all of the scans, and get him out early.  So she was induced at 38 weeks and 2 days.  Went in on the Sunday night and she was having full on contractions by the morning (which is fast but it depends how sensitive you are to the medicine) but her cervix wasn't doing anything.  The heart rate of Bert dropped a couple of times so they chemically backed her off out of labour.  Asked us what we wanted to do, do they induce again next day or do a C section, we opted for the C section.  All was fine but she lost a lot of blood and her iron levels were very low, he fed off the breast straight away but over the next day or so he wouldn't do it for very long and I was getting a little concerned but I didn't say anything.  Everyone seemed happy and Sarah Lou didn't know any better, so we were discharged.  Had a horrible night at home where he screamed all night and the midwife came out next day and said he looked jaundiced (it was getting worse because he wasn't feeding properly) so we went back into hospital.  Tested his blood sugar and it was very low and he'd lost 11% body weight (up to 10% is considered normal in the first few days) so they bottle fed him.  He won't fucking breastfeed now because he's lazy and it's too much like hard work.  Breastfeeding is tough, as not much comes out at first anyway, but you need to do it for a while to get those precious drops, like 20 minutes each boob.

So the only thing I would say is, if you don't think something is right, say something.  And ask if there are alternatives.  C sections sound great in theory, but if she ends up having one, be aware that you will have to do absolutely everything for a week or maybe more as it is brutal.

"The only truths are; there is no such thing as a wank or bum baby." - Marthagogo

#22 Idaho

Idaho

cunt

• Established
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,125 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

Appreciate this mate.  I'll wrote some thoughts once I've recovered from nights

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users