• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tachikoma

Random (non-gaming) news

Apple Threatens to close Itunes Store

itunes.jpg

Apple is threatening to close the iTunes store over a possible royalty hike.

The National Music Publishers' Association, which represents the interests of music makers and songwriters in the U.S., wants rates to be increased 9 cents to 15 cents, which represents a 66 percent rise.

"If [iTunes] was forced to absorb any increase in the ... royalty rate, the result would be to significantly increase the likelihood of the store operating at a financial loss -- which is no alternative at all," iTunes vice president Eddy Cue said.

ZOMG, I'm gonna have to start downloading music illegally again.

Apple Threatens to Close iTunes Store Over Royalties [foxnews]

Thanks to Bryan, who once downloaded a song illegally but then felt bad about it and gave a streetcorner musician a dollar.

A council in Wales has banned pupils at 51 schools from having Marmite on toast for breakfast.

They say the move - which puts them firmly on the hate side of the "Love it or hate it" debate - is because the 100-year-old product contains too much salt.

Marmite used to be served along with jams and marmalade at all of the school breakfast clubs run by Ceredigion Council but now it has disappeared.

A spokesperson for the council said the clubs were there to improve the health and concentration of children and anything served must be healthy and nutritionally balanced.

He added that Marmite had been removed from the menu because it includes a high level of salt ... not just because he hates it.

On the Marmite website, the health properties of the product are touted: "It's because we add a special vitamin blend to Marmite, enhancing the naturally nutritious yeast that's already there, that you can be sure Marmite's good for you."

A council in Wales has banned pupils at 51 schools from having Marmite on toast for breakfast.

They say the move - which puts them firmly on the hate side of the "Love it or hate it" debate - is because the 100-year-old product contains too much salt.

Marmite used to be served along with jams and marmalade at all of the school breakfast clubs run by Ceredigion Council but now it has disappeared.

A spokesperson for the council said the clubs were there to improve the health and concentration of children and anything served must be healthy and nutritionally balanced.

He added that Marmite had been removed from the menu because it includes a high level of salt ... not just because he hates it.

On the Marmite website, the health properties of the product are touted: "It's because we add a special vitamin blend to Marmite, enhancing the naturally nutritious yeast that's already there, that you can be sure Marmite's good for you."

Source: Dunno, was mailed around in work.

PC Gone Mad!

I assume they will be getting rid of salk shakers in the canteen, chips, egg, meat, fish, etc etc as they are all "bad" in excess.

Humans Versus Zombies becomes the number one game on Campus

zombie-tag.jpg

Apparently Human Vs. Zombie Tag (HvZ) is a growing trend on college campuses.

An HvZ game typically involves hundreds of students and runs 24 hours a day for days on end; dwindling numbers of humans try to fend off and outlast growing legions of zombies.

The rules are fundamentally simple: Zombie tags human, human becomes a zombie. Unlike movie zombies, with shambling walks and undead makeup, zombies in the game just wear headbands to distinguish them from armband-wearing humans. And they are free to sprint.

If you're a human, you can "stun" zombies for 15 minutes by hitting them with a Nerf gun or balled up sock (preferably stuffed with pennies). I dunno about all that, but, for the sake of unbiased reporting, I suppose I'll have to play before passing judgment.

UPDATE: I bit some bitch's arm off! Good times!

Hit the jump for a video of a game that actually made me feel embarrassed for the guy talking.

Nerf... FFS, at least fill a super soaker with turps and strap a Zippo to the front of it to make a rudamentary flamethrower!

Ketchup's biting the dust, too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7665781.stm

Tomato ketchup is the latest foodstuff to be banned from canteens at some schools as part of a move towards healthier eating.

Bought-in bottles are off the menu at Vale of Glamorgan primary schools and one parent called the move "daft".

The council said the policy is not to use "mass-produced foods," but produce fresh food on the premises.

It follows news Marmite has been banned from Ceredigion's school breakfast clubs due to worries over salt content.

Sharon Chapman, 47, whose eight-year-old son Rory attends Peterston-Super-Ely Primary School in the Vale of Glamorgan, said: "He came home from school and said 'We can't have ketchup any more'.

"He can live without it and the healthy meals at the school are fantastic, but this seems one step too far as they only used to have it once a week on a burger anyway. Now he says the burger is really dry.

"Tomato ketchup contains lycopene, which is good for you, but they say it's got a high level of salt and sugar.

"While it's not something you complain about, it seems a bit daft."

Vale of Glamorgan Council leader Gordon Kemp said: "The policy is not to use mass-produced foods, we produce everything fresh on the premises.

'Balanced and healthy'

"It's all part of the healthy eating programme and I think our council is one of the leading authorities in Wales in this respect."

Mary Hesford, business manager for Vale Catering Services which provides the primary schools' menu, said they followed guidelines from the Welsh Assembly Government.

She told the South Wales Echo: "Children can have a tomato sauce but now it's one our cooks make themselves. By using home-made sauce we can control what nutrients are in there.

"Ketchup bought in bottles can have high levels of salt and sugar that could be damaging for the children."

A Welsh Assembly Government spokeswoman said: "We do not tell local authorities not to serve ketchup in schools. Our guidance on school lunches is not that prescriptive.

"It is for local authorities to ensure that their school meals are as balanced and healthy as possible."

Mmmmm, Kebabs....

A catering boss has been banned from working with food after he was caught making kebabs while a workmate lay dead in the same room on a sofa.

Jaswinder Singh, 45, continued cooking while surrounded by flies at the Pappu Sweet Centre & Catering in Wolverhampton despite the sudden death of one of his colleagues.

He was given a life ban from working in the food industry at Wolverhampton Magistrates' Court.

District Judge Martin Brown said: 'The facts in this case are extraordinarily serious, they are about as grave as one might get in such a case.'

Singh was caught cooking beside the dead worker in August by a police officer investigating the employee's death. The officer closed the premises immediately.

Police were called after reports of the sudden death, which was not found to be suspicious.

The premises was in a filthy condition - a dead rat was found under a pan in the kitchen, food was mouldy and staff were smoking and spitting on the floor.

The business was infested with rodents - droppings and gnawed ingredients were found.

As well as being banned from managing any food business in future, Singh was ordered to pay £3,861 in fines and costs.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?C...p;in_page_id=34

You wan Chilli soss my friend?

Urm... is that guy... dead?

Look friend, I don't tell you how to run your business, you want salad?

I was reading in the London Paper earlier about negative equity in housing.

One guy has lost a lot of the value of his house, but this is how the quote read:

I bought the flat for £175,000 last year, and I was told that it's now worth £80,000. That's a 50% drop!

Not by my maths!

For a start that is great maths...

Secondly... That's either utter bollocks or he bought his flat for WAY more than it was worth. Or his flat fell down in the mean time.

Well, I was a bit suspicious of the story. It said he bought the Pimlico-based property for £175,000. For those who don't know where Pimlico is, it's very very central London. You can barely buy a 1 bedroom flat around where I live for that money. Then it said "The 160 sq ft property." 160!!! My lounge is bigger than that in my 1 bedroom flat.

So basically it's a tiny tiny studio flat in a really nice area, which now no one wants because anyone who can afford it won't want it and anyone who does, they won't be able to get a mortgage because they probably have no money to begin with.

Sounds like a stunning place! He quite cleary over paid, thinking he'd be captain flash with his lovely flat and then got shafted.

Pimlico is a dump anyway, it's like most parts of central London, you have the uber riche, and the uber poor living side by side. The rich moan about the poor driving down prices, the poor moan about the rich driving up prices. They all just want a "status" pad by living in "the city" (I fucking hate that term) same thing is happening to Cardiff now.

It was a buy to let.... so I'm laughing at him.

I disagree with people being allowed to own more than one property because it makes the whole system unfair.

Why? i don't want to buy anywhere. I need to rent places cos i don't want to live there for more than a few years. A lot of people on buy to let tend to lose money for a very long time and usually don't make any money untill they sell.

And what about people having a place in a city and a place somewhere else? Maybe i work in london but don't want to spend 4 hours on a train every day so live in london in the week then home at weekends.

Why? i don't want to buy anywhere. I need to rent places cos i don't want to live there for more than a few years. A lot of people on buy to let tend to lose money for a very long time and usually don't make any money untill they sell.

And what about people having a place in a city and a place somewhere else? Maybe i work in london but don't want to spend 4 hours on a train every day so live in london in the week then home at weekends.

Okay your last example, if you had the money in order to do that then great. It's people who buy 4 houses on buy to let mortgages and then rent them out that piss me off.

You're right, there has to be a rental market out there for people who want places on relatively short term lets. However, especially in market like London where a lot of the properties first time buyers can afford are one and two bedroom flats, they always seem to have been bought up on buy to let mortgages. Then you try to get a part rent-part buy place and you get told you can't because you're not a key worker.

whats that cunt bitching about?

if he paid 175k for it then he must have done his figures so that the rent is going to pay the mortgage.

assuming the rent is the same, his mortgage is still getting paid by someone else.

it doesnt matter if its been valued at 80k now, he just has to hang onto it long enough to get back up to 175k.

if he is a prick who bought last year hoping to twist it on this year then HAHAHA.

Bendy-buses with the slogan "There's probably no God" could soon be running on the streets of London.

The atheist posters are the idea of the British Humanist Association (BHA) and have been supported by prominent atheist Professor Richard Dawkins.

The BHA planned only to raise £5,500, which was to be matched by Professor Dawkins, but it has now raised more than £20,300 of its own accord.

It aims to have two sets of 30 buses carrying the signs for four weeks.

As the campaign has raised more than anticipated, it will also have posters on the inside of buses as well. The BHA is also considering extending the campaign.

The complete slogan reads: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Professor Dawkins said: "Religion is accustomed to getting a free ride - automatic tax breaks, unearned respect and the right not to be offended, the right to brainwash children.

Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice

"Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side.

"This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion."

Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the BHA, said: "We see so many posters advertising salvation through Jesus or threatening us with eternal damnation, that I feel sure that a bus advert like this will be welcomed as a breath of fresh air.

"If it raises a smile as well as making people think, so much the better."

But Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said: "Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

"I should be surprised if a quasi-religious advertising campaign like this did not attract graffiti.

"People don't like being preached at. (O'Rly?: Tachi)

Sometimes it does them good, but they still don't like it."

The buses with the slogans will run in Westminster from January.

Source: BBC

LOL!

Now that's my kind of anti-PC statement! About bloody time to, although I can see this not actually being done.

That is fucking brilliant!

Ties in nicely with the LBP thread... Athiests don't get up in arms about religious mentals in town centre's plying their own band of crazy but if i went to a shopping centre and di the same thing i'd be murdered... quite literally... by a group of "peaceful" christians...

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/st...3A12%3A45%3A527

AN 86-year-old driver who “should not have been behind the wheel” ploughed into three pedestrians, maiming one and contributing to the death of another, a court heard.

Allan Skoyles was barely mobile at the time of the crash, having suffered a stroke and undergone eight heart bypass operations.

He had pulled up outside the Lowestoft Road Baptist Church in Gorleston when he accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the brake, mounting the pavement, a court heard yesterday..

His Ford Focus struck an elderly couple, Joyce and Arthur Willett, and 23-year-old Emma Woolnough who was walking to work.

Miss Woolnough has since had a leg amputated and Mrs Willett remains in hospital with serious hip injuries. Her husband died shortly after the crash - which his family believe led to his deterioration.

Sentencing him at Norwich Crown Court for dangerous driving, Judge Peter Jacobs said checks ought to be carried out on all motorists from the age of 75 to ensure they were still safe on the road.

He added: “No-one says this was deliberate or malicious but you should not have been in that car. It has been absolutely devastating for the woman who lost part of her leg.

“She has had limbs fitted and you have given her a life sentence. Someone else has subsequently died and another person is still in hospital.

“The problem is people out there are not going to say they are no longer fit to drive. People regard cars as essential.”

Nick Methold, prosecuting, said Skoyles, who is registered deaf, thought he had parked too far from the kerb so he went back to re-park.

“The only explanation is that he accelerated instead of hitting the brake and then probably panicked and went up the kerb,” Mr Methold said.

“The tragic result is, having had a series of operations, she has lost the lower part of her left leg and a wheelchair is now in regular use.”

Judge Jacobs sentenced Skoyles, of Victoria Road, Gorleston, to eight months in prison, suspended for a year. He fined him £2,000, ordered him to pay £250 costs and banned him from driving for three years.

He said: “This is a sentencing nightmare. This is absolutely devastating.”

In mitigation, Alan Wheetman said Skoyles had voluntarily handed his driving licence in and has not driven since the accident. “He is deeply sorry for what occurred and he feels for the victims,” he added.

When he left court, Skoyles said: “I think I've upset enough people.”

Judge: You shouldn't have been behind the wheel, so I'm going to ban you for three years.

Good job, judge, good job (I know he's handed in his licence anyways, but that's not the point and I want to have my RANT).

Having had THREE near misses with old people driving like cunts yesterday (one in which some old twat decided to pull straight out in front of us whilst we were trundling down the road at 30 mph as we should have done...he pulled out about 20 feet in front of us and then continued to drive like an old twat by driving in the middle of TWO lanes) I'm sick of old people not getting more hassle for being shit drivers. They're the ones who either hit the accelerator instead of the brake and go through someone's living room/body, and they're the ones most likely to drive the wrong way up the bloody duel carriageway.

I'm also fed up with old people walking very slowly and tutting if I overtake them because I don't wish to pass my next birthday in a Co-op store behind a flatulent old biddy who can't find the reduced, dented cans of prune juice and small dog food.

Re-testing should be mandatory every 5 or so years, both for the muppet VW Golf/Bora/Etc drivers, and the old fuckers who shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Just this morning we were stuck behind some doddering old bloke, swerving all over the road, braking 200 yards before he needed to, and thinking that steering around corners is optional.

Sadly the good old "but we shouldn't single them out because they are of 'mature years'" rubbish will mean it will never happen, and people will keep being in accidents like this.