Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pedro

Mac Help

Thanks to a bodged auto-update, I am now MacBook-less until next Friday, when Apple Genius Bar will take a look at it.

Ive tried to to a cmd+r recovery, and a Cmd+Option+r internet recovery, but neither work: After selecting my account and Mac HD, says that I dont have permission. The backup drive says that it isnt docked.

I have very precious data that was installed since the last backup (silly me), so I dont want to/cant wipe and fresh install.

Any Macsperts able to help?

I've been using a mac for a couple of years now and they still make no sense at all to me.

The Apple store will just wipe your drive. I don't think there's a lot you can do without a spare internal drive, from memory you had to do a fresh install on a new drive, activate your account and somehow you could decrypt the old one. All new Macs use custom drives these days so will be expensive if not impossible if it's soldered or locked.

I took it to the Mac store, managed to pull off all the important data, but the HDD is fucked. Need to get a new one, or buy a new MacBook Pro (wife needs Mac for her work).

Its a late 2011 model, and I upgraded it to 16gb ram so it still moves fine for my needs, was thinking about throwing in a SSD? Would that work?