Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Duffman

Is it too early for the next-gen?

There's a lot of speculation about PS5 going around at the moment, with rumours pointing to a 2019 or 2020 release. Does anyone else feel like it's way too early to even consider a new generation at this point? The 360 and PS3 stuck around for around 7-8 years before their successors arrived, which was admittedly a much longer cycle than we've seen in the past, and we're barely at the 4 year mark in this generation with a previously unprecedented mid-generation refresh having only recently happened.

I can't help but feel like the generation has barely gotten started, so far. Longer development cycles and games costing more to make seems to have meant there's fewer and fewer big releases and what's there isn't often exclusive either. It seems the gaps are being filled with strong Indie titles and HD remasters/remakes otherwise. Sony seems to be leading the way at least with Uncharted, God of War, and so on, but it feels like with these titles hitting, the generation is only really now hitting its stride.

I feel like there's a few years of this generation left before we should even really be seeing a new generation. What do you think?

I'm quite surprised at the talk of PS5 to be honest, because I thought with the Pro and X, and the more PC like architecture of the current consoles, that both companies would probably move towards system tech refreshes as opposed to incremental numbered releases.

Either way the PS5 really needs to have a significant power advantage over the Pro and X and be fully BC with the PS4 for me to be interested at this point. Sony need to have a good look at what MS have done with the X.

Feels too soon for me, think there's a good few years left in the current gen. Only thing I can think is they want to manage 4K gaming as a norm rather than an optional extra, simplifying manufacturing processes so it's not spread across multiple SKUs other than end of life slim models with the sameish innards.

Yes

2020 seems about right. It'll be 7 years since the originals launched.

Also as Jusat said b/c MUST be in for Sonys sake.

4K and 60fps as standard would be the optimal, but I don't see them getting there at a reasonable cost unless it's further into the future.

I still dont feel like the new ones are in their flow yet. Being a Bone owner and cant even really tell you about many games that have defined the console (exclusive anyway), a crap Halo maybe?

Bummers will you just buy a PS4 already

I remember being surprised at some of the next gen talk early in the 360 life cycle. The development of it will take so long that it's gonna take ages to come out.

I still dont feel like the new ones are in their flow yet. Being a Bone owner and cant even really tell you about many games that have defined the console (exclusive anyway), a crap Halo maybe?

I've got a Bone for the backwards compatibility as my 360 makes weird noises. Soon as Lost Odyssey was added I got one as I bloody love that game.

Gears 4 was okay and Halo I've always considered an okay shooter but nothing amazing. MS definitely has an exclusivity problem.

Edited by Shufty

MS definitely has an exclusivity problem.

Qft!

The only thing that's tempted me by a bone is seeing my games library on 360 and the fact that 90% has the xbox one thing by it. That and cuphead...

I bought a Bone as a media machine. The S was,at the time and might still be, the cheapest way to get a 4k blu ray player. That and back compat are the only good things about it. Halo 5 is poor, being the first Halo I never finished, Gears is okay and Forza is good if you like racing.

Bummers will you just buy a PS4 already

Mate, if it had a 4K player then I would have ages ago. Im still astonished that Sony didnt add one to the pro.