Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RetroBob

Broadband providers

I have phone and internet through BT, we pay £53.99 a month for the fastest internet they have. Recently I've been getting dropped connections on different wireless devices which is annoying (especially when you go to change thermostat and it lost connection), and I am wondering if I can get something cheaper.

Not interested in TV packages as we don't have time to watch much TV and our needs are met through Netflix and streaming one off stuff. I can avoid having a landline at all, that would be preferable.

What are people's experiences elsewhere?

My requirements are what you would expect, fast and unlimited broadband, open NAT etc.

I have plusnet fibre, seems ok. That said, much like I think every fibre provider that isn't Virgin, you're still using a BT line and mostly likely BT equipment.

Virgin have faster speeds generally (I think because a lot of their network is Fibre-to-Premises rather than Fibre-To-Cabinet) but are known for throttling at peak times, and if you sign up with them now you apparently are no longer able to use 3rd party routers, and are forced to use their apalling quality hub instead. The best you can do is put it in modem only mode and then add your router afterward, but you won't be able to use your own modem to connect - https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/7i5hg8/virgins_hub_3_is_just_shit/

Open NAT is a lottery on any router from what I know, but shouldn't be an issue as long as you're willing to do port forwarding.

Edited by Duffman

Were getting Truespeed direct fibre in our village in the new year. Which means Ill never a to give BT a prenup ever again. 4 milesnoutsidwnof Bristol and I get 1-2mb broadband with no plans for infinity. Fudging useless company.

I have plusnet fibre, seems ok. That said, much like I think every fibre provider that isn't Virgin, you're still using a BT line and mostly likely BT equipment.

Virgin have faster speeds generally (I think because a lot of their network is Fibre-to-Premises rather than Fibre-To-Cabinet) but are known for throttling at peak times, and if you sign up with them now you apparently are no longer able to use 3rd party routers, and are forced to use their apalling quality hub instead. The best you can do is put it in modem only mode and then add your router afterward, but you won't be able to use your own modem to connect - https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/7i5hg8/virgins_hub_3_is_just_shit/

Open NAT is a lottery on any router from what I know, but shouldn't be an issue as long as you're willing to do port forwarding.

I'm with Virgin, they're generally okay. Miles better than BT were when I was with them. I have the router in modem mode with my own doing the actual work as at least with Superhub 2 you couldn't do port forwarding.

I'm getting random internet drops with BT, seems to be an epidemic as others are suffering the same.